COVID-19 Arrives in Gunnison County
On March 10, 2020, the first case of COVID-19 (the disease caused by the novel coronavirus which was first reported in Wuhan, Hubei Provence, China, in December 2019) was reported in Gunnison County. For more information on the first case, read the press release from the Gunnison County Department of Health & Human Services.
First, here are a few preventative measures you can take to protect yourself and your family:
- Wash your hands regularly, especially before eating or touching your mouth and nose.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- If you are sick, stay home.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Next, here’s what to do if you think you are sick:
- Stay home if you develop a fever, cough or shortness of breath.
- Wear a mask or cover your cough and sneeze.
- Wash your hands frequently and don’t share personal items (drinking glass or utensils) with others.
- Call your healthcare provider. Do not show up at a clinic, urgent care or the emergency department unannounced.
- Your doctor’s office will assess your illness on the phone and provide information or guidance for you, household members, and other close contacts.
- Testing for COVID-19 is not a routine test. Your healthcare provider will assess your symptoms and risk for the disease based on guidance from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
- Since many of the illnesses are mild, we expect most COVID-19 patients will be isolated in their own home to rest and recover. If possible, sleep in a bedroom and use a bathroom that is not used by other household members.
- There is no antiviral treatment for COVID-19. Getting rest and drinking plenty of fluids will likely be helpful for recovery. Only the most critically ill will be hospitalized.
And finally, CFGV is dedicated to connecting our community with the tools and resources it needs to help combat the spread of the virus, starting with accurate and reliable information. The following links will contain the most up-to-date information available on the spread of COVID-19 in Gunnison County, the State of Colorado, the United State of America, and the world. Please visit these sites regularly so you are well-informed.
GUNNISON COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (DHHS)
Gunnison County DHHS is managing the response in Gunnison County. For local updates and information, visit the COVID-19 page on their website.
COLORADO DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENT (CDPHE)
CDPHE is managing the response on the state level. For updates and information on COVID-19 in the State of Colorado, visit the COVID-19 page on their website.
CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (CDC)
The CDC is one of the agencies managing the response on the national level. For updates and information on COVID-19 in the US, visit the Coronavirus Disease 2019 page on their website.
WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION (WHO)
The WHO is one of the agencies monitoring and managing the response on an international level. For international updates and information on COVID-19, visit the Coronavirus Disease 2019 page on their website.
UNITED NATIONS (UN) WORLD MAP OF OUTBREAK
The UN is tracking the global spread of COVID-19 using data provided by the WHO. Visit this website to see a map with the latest international cumulative numbers.